Blog Captain

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Friday, January 7, 2011

Happy New Year!.. and a plug for "The Kings Speech"

Seems like quite a while since I blogged and so I thought I'd simply open the new year by wishing all of you a prosperous and peaceful year ahead. 

Like most Alaskans, I was delighted to get through the shortest day of the year and am now enjoying the slow return of longer days.  During my holidays I made sure to get outside to enjoy as much daylight as much as I could.  Despite the colder than usual temperatures we experienced towards the end of the year it was great to be a "staycationer" in winter!

In addition to getting through as much as I could of my overly ambitious reading list (see December 2010 blogs) and skiiing whenever I could, I also managed to catch a couple of great movies.  One of which -- "The Kings Speech" (http://www.kingsspeech.com/) -- made an indelible impression on me.  Not only is the story absolutely compelling, there is a remarkable chemistry between the cast.  I can't recall a movie that so profoundly engaged me in the two lead characters.  I have found that I am already using the movie as a learning and motivational tool for some of our work here at the SeaLife Center as we prepare for the Alaska Marine Gala on 16th January -- there are some remarkable lessons and ideas in great stories such as this!

I encourage you all to see the movie and will be interested to learn your reaction... Oh, and rest assured in case you don't find the movie as motivating as I did - our Director of Education Nikki Nelson has already encouraged me to not practice any newly learned speech therapy techniques during my speech at the Gala!

No comments:

Post a Comment