Blog Captain

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Bliss: Reading for Relaxation

I have decided to allow myself he luxury of a week off to do nothing but read and take walks/ski with my wife (and dog) between Christmas and New Year. Those who know me will appreciate that such relaxation is a rare allocation of time. From my perspective, it’ll be great to be at home in Alaska enjoying winter, but also enjoying being away from the constant distraction and demands of emails, meetings and telephone calls. In some ways this break is a regression to my early student days when I would finish an exam, rush to the airport to fly somewhere and en route buy a book to enrich my journey. Of course I did lots of reading (maybe not enough) for my courses, and still do in my professional life, but there is something very different about recreational reading.

There are, in my mind, few things as satisfying or stimulating as reading. The ideas and images that great (and even not so great) writers convey, the illusions that they conjure up and the sheer immersiveness of being in a new places with a bunch of new characters and events to discover creates an amazing sense of adventure.

After many years of reading vociferously I have become more and more selective about what I choose to become immersed in. As Karla will attest, watching me skim the usual airport book selection for an hour only to select nothing is thus increasingly common. I justify that selectivity by not wanting to be disappointed. I mean, how frustrating is to begin a promising “new” novel and then discover you have read that plot (or one just like it) 3x previously? There is increasingly little fiction written these days that does not disappoint me because of that lack of originality. Hence my first scan now is usually of the nonfiction book selection – I have increasingly begun to appreciate the truth of Mark Twain’s comment that “truth stranger than fiction, because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth isn't”.

So what am I going to read in that week? I have 2.5 books picked out (this is not a Santa wishlist):

First on my list is Nancy’ Lord’s new book Early Warming – see http://www.nancylord.alaskawriters.com/. Nancy has just concluded her term as Alaska State Laureate and is an author whose work I seek out because of her  great Alaskan experiences and ability to describe nature with the unique insight of someone who has both been a keen observer of ecosystems (as a commercial fisher) and someone who understands the craft of nature writing.


Second is perhaps a surprise pick – I was recently doing some research on the famous Dutch naturalist Rumphius (whose amazing beach walks in Indonesia in the 1600s helped frame modern taxonomy – long story!) and rediscovered his classic “Ambonese Curiosity Cabinet”. I also found out that Yale Press are bringing out some of his other works in March 2011 and so wanted to reconnect with the writer – colonial Dutch nature writing is unusual genre, but offers some amazing insights into modern science!

Finally, the half choice. I’m mulling over reading on a topic that I have not read much about to date but which would help me to better understand Alaskan native culture and traditional use of resources in South Central Alaska.
Any recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. Ian,

    I recommend Shem Pete's Alaska: The Territory of the Upper Cook Inlet Dena'ina. It's one of my favorites to understand this region. Instead of me trying to describe it, here's the official description:

    Shem Pete (1896–1989), the colorful and brilliant raconteur from Susitna Station, Alaska, left a rich legacy of knowledge about the Dena’ina world. Shem was one of the most versatile storytellers and historians in twentieth-century Alaska, and his lifetime travel map of approximately 13,500 square miles is one of the largest ever documented in this degree of detail anywhere in the world.

    In this greatly expanded, deluxe edition, Shem Pete’s Alaska presents the cultural and physical geography of the Dena’ina through 973 named places in 16 drainage-based chapters. The place names are annotated with comments, stories, and songs by Shem Pete and many other Dena’ina and Ahtna speakers, reconstructing this vast territory from the vantage points of their life experiences. Kari and Fall add vignettes, copious photographs, references, new and historic maps, perspectives on Dena’ina language and culture, and a summary of Dena’ina geographic knowledge and place-name research methodology.

    This beautifully produced edition is a treasure for all Alaskans and for anyone interested in the "personal connectedness to a beautiful land" voiced by Dena’ina elders.

    ReplyDelete